As part of the numerous health and safety precaution efforts undertaken by Syracuse University since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, University researchers and administrators seeking to host a visiting scholar must complete a Visiting Scholar Request. Visiting scholars are those who are coming to Syracuse University campus from outside of the Central New York region for the purpose of long-term academic research, and will remain on campus for longer than three days. The request must be completed by the University member who will serve as the host for the scholar. The host may be a faculty member, department chair, center or institute director, or other type of administrator. The request must detail the following:
- host name, title, department, email
- visitor name, address, email, home telephone number, and local contact number
- mode of travel to Syracuse University
- duration of stay
- anticipated arrival date
- location where visitor will quarantine for two weeks (required if arriving from an international location or a U.S. state on New York State’s list of restricted states)
- a brief description of the purpose of the visit
- a description of campus facilities to be accessed during the visitor’s stay – including buildings, room numbers, equipment
- a description of how required social distancing and room occupancy limits will be maintained, including instituting the need for room calendaring, for example.
Any potential host with questions about whether a particular scholar’s visit will be allowed should confer first with their department chair and associate dean for research (ADR),or relevant academic unit leadership. Once discussed with unit leadership, please complete this application. Applications will then be routed electronically to the appropriate chair and ADR for their review and recommendations. These comments will then be routed to the interim vice president for research (VPR) for final review.
If approved by the interim VPR, a confirmation will be sent to the potential host, chair, and ADR, with instructions for the provision of an appointment letter (as appropriate) and to secure an SUID and SU email for the visiting scholar. This information must then be provided by the school or college to Human Resources to enable the provision of the required Daily Health Screening Questionnaire to the visiting scholar each day.
If a request is urgent, hosts may work with their department to request the SUID and email in parallel with the Visiting Scholar Request process. However, approval must be provided by the VPR before the visiting scholar travels to campus.
All visiting scholars must familiarize themselves with the University’s continually updated the Return to Campus Plan for Faculty and Staff – specifically, the sections on Health and Safety Guidance and Workplace Distancing Guidance.
Please allow at least 5 business days for the Visiting Scholar Request to process for approval.
You may access the Visiting Scholar Request on the Syracuse University Application Portal here: https://syracuse.infoready4.com/#competitionDetail/1822126